Application as an exchange student (Erasmus+/Overseas) at HfG Karlsruhe is open for students whose home universities have an exchange agreement with HfG Karlsruhe.

Application Process

Erasmus incomings and students from overseas partnership programs are nominated from their home universities. The chosen students must send their application before the deadline to the International Office at HfG Karlsruhe. The International Office will assist you, should you have any further queries.

Application Documents:

  • Motivation letter (a short text outlining your motivation for studying at HfG Karlsruhe, one side DIN-A4 max.)
  • Transcript of records
  • Application portfolio with work studies (only required for Communication Design, Exhibition Design and Scenography, Product Design and Media Art) 
  • Language certificates

Application Dates:
For the winter semester (October to February): 01 June
For the summer semester (April to Juli): 01 December

Application Address:
Application documents may be sent by email (please use WeTransfer, Dropbox (or similar) for applications of over 10MB) to the International Office

Staatliche Hochschule für Gestaltung Karlsruhe
International Office
Lorenzstrasse 15
D-76135 Karlsruhe

T +49 (0) 721 / 8203 2371

Studying at HfG

HfG Karlsruhe offers a wide spectrum of practice and theory-based courses. The courses on offer in various departments is substantial; the students have plenty of freedom in combining their curriculum and a lively exchange between individual departments emerges.

Curriculum and ECTS

The study regulations allow a one-time flexibility in building and combining their own individual curriculum. In this way, they are able to extensively decide the combination of subjects on offer at the university for themselves. Students are encouraged to inform themselves on the number of ECTS points given in the course by talking to the relevant professors, and must receive a course certificate at the end of the term. The official transcript will be issued by the International Office.

Teaching Language

The regular teaching language is German. International professors often teach in English.


Students are to go to the Student Office or the International Office in person, and within the enrollment deadline. An appointment is required.

The following documents are required for enrollment:

  • European Health Insurance Card
  • Passport copy
  • Two passport photos
  • Payment slip for the Studierendenwerkbeitrag. (A payment transfer template will be provided)
  • Certificate of participation in Safety at Work (please contact Richard Brunner, the instructor)

Living in Karlsruhe

Detailed practical information regarding studying and living in Karlsruhe can be found under Practical Information for International Students.